Everything has two sides, positive and negative. It totally depends on the person and how they are taking it. Unfortunately, most people misuse everything. There are many examples around us that show from technology to laws, how people are misusing those things that are particularly made for our benefit. The purpose of writing this article is to address one such serious issue that needs attention. That is “Misuse of AI Technology” but our article will focus on “Deepfake Technology ” and how to save your images and videos from the misuse of AI Technology. Before starting our main topic, we want to talk about “What is deepfake technology?” The term deepfake technology is not a new thing to hear but this issue came after a video of a famous actress went viral on social media.
It is worth saying that, the problem and solution to deepfake started circulating online in the form of articles in the wake of a viral video of actress Rashmika Mandanna. Several websites are addressing this serious issue but most of them are hard and confusing. This thing triggered us to talk about it and our website will cover all the necessary points related to deep fake, including the details of “What is deep fake technology”, “Solution to Deepfake” and most importantly “Deepfake AI Tools”. Continue to read to learn about deepfake technology and by the end, you will get the solutions on how to save your images and videos from the new dimension of cyberattacks.
Table of Contents
What is Deepfake Technology?
It is worth noting that deepfake is part of Artificial Intelligence technology. Simply put, it is a method for manipulating or meddling with audio, videos and even images or pictures utilizing powerful computers and deep learning. This technology is basically used to create fake news and sometimes commit financial fraud. Deepfake technology is used to overlay a digital composite over already-existing audio, images or pictures, and video cybercriminals use AI technology.
The term “Deepfake” stemmed in 2017 after an anonymous user of Reddit called himself with this term. The unknown user meddled with open-source Google, deep-learning technology to generate and post p**nographic videos. Since then, this AI technology began to be misused and now cybercriminals are using it for shady purposes like hoaxes, celebrity p**nography, social engineering, scams, financial fraud, election manipulation, and identity theft. Actress Rashmika Mandanna is not the only victim of deepfake technology, many notable personalities like former United States Presidents Donald Trump and Barack Obama have been also the victims of these cybercriminals.
Solution To Deepfake Technology
Now, after talking about the problem, it is time to talk about the solution that how we protect our images, audio and videos from this cyberattack. The very first thing, one should be careful while sharing their personal information online. We all want to share about ourselves in a detailed manner but it is essential to know what is needed to put online and what is not. Cyber attackers mostly target those accounts that are easy to access and have plenty of personal information. Most people think it is safe to share their personal information including photos online but they are not aware of the misuse of it.
We are not saying that you should not put anything online but you need to limit the amount of information to reduce the data available for creating deepfakes. The suggestion we are giving in order to save your personal security online is to refrain from publicly sharing your images, videos and even audio that could be easily used to create deepfakes. In this context, those people who kept their social media accounts, particularly Instagram, need to change to private. We know that most people private their accounts but there are many people who manage Business accounts online that can’t be made private. At least they can archive (hide) their personal audio, videos or images on Instagram. This option is available in setting mode.
Apart from that, netizens or Instagram users can protect their accounts by securing them with unique and strong passwords. Our other suggestion is to be conscious while sharing your personal things on your social media account at least until the government takes some serious regulatory and legal measures to fight against the deepfake technology as well as from sharing fake content online. Well, we are fortunate that the recent incident of the fake video of the actress has again put this situation in front and the government is actually working on it. Due to that legislation is already starting to address the menace of Deepfake videos.
Furthermore, after creating strong passwords and restricting personal information, netizens can use a reputable antivirus program. This antivirus program can easily protect your device from malware that can be used to generate deepfake. However, you also need to know the difference between original and deepfake videos or images if you really want to stop it. Try to have an understanding of an image that looks fake who knows it can be a deepfake. Cross-checked before sharing or believing it. Another thing a user can do to save their data is to “Watermarking” their videos and images. It will help to make your personal data such as videos and images safe from misuse.
Although we know that, it is not foolproof but it can add extra protection as well as make anyone not use it. The touch of watermarking will make your images your own thing and people will surely respect your privacy, who knows cyber attackers think twice before misusing your data. Last but not the least, which is helpful to protect your data is “Metadata”. Many of you might have heard this term for the first time and wondered what it is. Metadata is basically details that are embedded in a file that has the details of their owner, location, copyright owner and date of creation as well. The constant rechecking of Metadata will help you to make sure that your data is accurate and up-to-date as it is helpful to prove your ownership in such situations.
Deepfake Detection AI Tools Which Are Helpful To Combat
Due to the sudden rise of deepfake videos or images, it is necessary to take the help of AI tools. There are many people who are normally using above mentioned things but still become the prey of deepfake. So what are the other options that are helpful in preventing deepfake? Deepfake Detection AI Tools or simply Deepfake AI tools are quite helpful. Although the results are not 100% accurate there are several online deepfake detection tools that can help to share valuable input. What is the best part of AI technology is that it has the solution to every problem. In other words if technology is creating problems then still it can give you solutions and Deepfake AI tools are the example of it.
Some of Deepfake AI Tools are:
- Deep Neural Networks: TensorFlow and PyTorch both are free tools that are used to identify deepfake videos. With the help of these Deepfake AI tools, anyone can easily spot Deepfake videos. These tools use deep neural networks to identify fake or morph videos. These are used to analyze videos, images and audio to find the signs of meddling. It is simple to use, all you need to do is upload examples of false and real videos to train a spot model to find the difference between the real and deepfake.
- Deepware: It is another deepfake AI tool that is used to detect the deepfake videos. It is also used to identify Artificial generated videos and just like other Deepfake AI tools, it is also easy to use. It has a scanner in it where users need to post videos online and this tool will tell you whether the video is original or AI-generated.
- Sensity: This AI technology specializes in detecting deepfake or AI-generated videos. With the help of this tool, a user can easily recognize the AI-generated content. This tool is highly used to analyze contextual and visual cues to recognize AI-generated pictures. However, it is not free to use, a user needs to pay charges in order to use it. So, if you want to use this tool, you need to pay the amount.
- Hive: With the help of this open-source technology, netizens can quickly scan digital images and texts to check their authenticity. All you need to do is follow some simple steps and within a few seconds, you will get the results. A user needs to upload a file on it and the results will quickly appear. This is also available in the form of an extension which means you can add it on your computer desktop.
- Illuminarty: Just like all above mentioned AI tools, this Deepfake AI tool is also used to recognize AI-generated text and images. The basic version of this tool is free to use which means a user needs to pay an amount in order to use the advanced version of it. The premium plans of this deepfake AI enable the user to get more functions to identify the authenticity of the images and videos.
All above-mentioned are the best Deepfake AI tools and these are used to detect AI-generating videos and images. The result may be not 100% right but these apps are quite helpful in helping an individual understand or know the difference between original and deepfake videos.